Saturday, February 23, 2013

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

This soup can brighten any dreary, cold winters day. It will also warm up your kitchen and your belly! I first had this soup at Panera a while back and I loved it! So of course, I went on a search for a copy cat recipe that I could try. I've made this about 4 times now so I've got the recipe down pretty good. It even won our tailgate's soup/chili cookoff last year! I couldn't believe that every last drop of this soup went. It's creamy, thick and hearty so you could have it all alone or with a grilled cheese to feel even more warm and gooey! If you want a thick soup, I would follow the recipe listed below pretty closely. If you use much more liquid, it can get pretty thin but do whatever suits your family's taste buds!


COPYCAT PANERA CREAMY CHICKEN WITH WILD RICE SOUP

What you need for the soup:

About 3 cups chicken broth
2 chicken breasts (boneless, cooked and cubed-you can always get a rotisserie and just cut it up)
1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend, quick cooking version (You will use the seasoning packet so be sure to save it)


1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup butter (12 tbsp)
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup onion, diced (I use one medium)

1 cup cremini mushrooms 
About 3 cups light cream (I use 1.5 cups heavy cream and 1 cup skim or 1% milk)

To make the soup:

1. I always start by cooking my chicken first that way it’s out of the way.

2. Prepare rice according to package directions except DO NOT use the seasoning mix. You could also substitute chicken broth for the water for added flavor.
3. While your rice is cooking, cut up your veggies (I always buy the mushrooms and carrots already cut so all I have to prepare is the celery and onion).

4. Once rice is done, add your cooked chicken to the pot and 2-3 cups of your broth. (I normally start light with 2 cups as you can always add more later.) Leave this pot off (no heat) but covered while you cook your veggies.

 
5. In a small bowl, combine pepper and flour. Set aside.  
6. In a large pot over medium heat, melt your butter. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion and sautee for about 5 minutes. Stir in the contents of seasoning packet, and continue cooking your vegetables until softened, about 5-10 minutes more.
7. Now, add in your seasoned flour while stirring constantly to form a roux (a golden, thick mixture of the butter and flour). Continue stirring and cooking the roux for 3-4 minutes until it is nice and thick.
This is the 'roux' after about 5 minutes cooking.

8. Slowly whisk in cream (and/or milk), a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Remember I only used 2.5 cups of 'cream'.
9. Take your broth, rice and chicken pot and stir it into the cream mixture until it’s all well incorporated. If it’s too thick, add more broth. (The original recipe called for 6 cups but we like our soup thick so I never use that much. I actually didn't add any more than the original 2 cups to this particular batch.)
10. Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes to mix all your flavors. The soup really does thicken as it cooks; if you want, add more broth. Or, if you save it for later in the week to re-heat you can add more chicken stock at that point, too!


It really thickens up after cooking!
Serve with bread or a grilled cheese for an extra yummy meal!! ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment